3 Sons Italian Deciphers Pastas and Sauces for You
- Posted by 3 Sons Italian
- On May 9, 2019
- 3 sons italian, food, menu, noodles, pasta, sauce
Have you ever wondered why certain noodles go better with a particular sauce? Sure, it’s a matter of taste, but there are also some more technical reasons for the choosing a particular noodle shape, length or thickness over another. Here’s a quick recap of a few popular pastas and sauces:
- Angel Hair: Made from long, fine strands, angel hair is the thinnest noodle available. Because it’s so delicate, you’ll often see it in very light sauces, in broths or just topped with a simple garlic and oil (or butter) sauce.
- Shells: These come in a variety of sizes so you’ll often see the largest ones stuffed with ricotta or meat, the medium-sized ones in casseroles and the smallest shells in soups.
- Fettucine: Popular in Tuscan and Roman cuisine, this flat pasta is thicker than spaghetti and can be used with creamy sauces or thicker tomato sauces due to its larger surface area.
- Rigatoni: Tube-shaped to capture plenty of sauce, rigatoni comes in a spectrum of sizes and lengths.
- Cavatappi: Italian for the word “corkscrew,” this ridged macaroni has plenty of crevices to hold a hearty sauce and plenty of flavor.
- Marinara: Originating in Naples, Marinara (from “mariner’s sauce”) is typically made with crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil, chile flakes and basil. At 3 Sons Italian, we offer a homemade marinara and a spicy version.
- Alfredo: Credited to Alfredo di Lelio, who owned a restaurant in Rome in the 1920s, Alfredo sauce is made with butter, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese and plenty of pepper.
- Roasted Tomato Cream: The simplest way to think of this sauce is a cross between marinara and Alfredo, though the recipe varies slightly depending who is making it.
- Pesto: Hailing from Genoa, his green, nutty sauce is made with crushed basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
Enter our monthly contest for a chance to win a free bottle of wine or 10% off your check. Just leave a review on our Facebook page (Under “Recommendations and Reviews”) and we’ll choose one winner each month!
3 Sons Italian Restaurant & Bar
14805 West 64th Ave., Arvada