If you’ve never had Tiramisu, you’re in for a real treat! The pudding-like dessert includes sponge cake or ladyfingers dipped in liqueur, then layered with custard and grated chocolate. Sometimes referred to as “Tuscan Trifle,” most people agree that some version of Tiramisu was birthed in Italy, though there are a variety of stories offering credit to different adaptations in the United States.
Tiramisu was a late-bloomer in America, seeing a surge of popularity in the early 1980s when it began popping up on menus in New York. Depending which pastry chef was crafting the dessert, you might see the addition of almonds or whipped cream, or substitutions, such as Nutella, for just about any ingredient to make it “their own.” These spin-offs have been served in glasses, cups and on plates in cake form, making tiramisu (in its non-pure form) quite versatile. There are also plenty of versions that use alcohol. From Marsala (a sweet red wine) and brandy, to rum, coffee and almond liqueur, there are always alternative recipes for chefs or home cooks looking to “booze it up” a bit when it comes to Tiramisu.
At 3 Sons Italian, we like to stick with traditional recipes to honor the classic cooking of “Bel Paesa” (Italian for “beautiful country”). If you’re looking for a tasty, sumptuous dessert after dinner that brings together the best in tastes, textures and tradition, we recommend that you try our Tiramisu.
Looking for other Italian desserts? Check out these delights from our menu:
- Marscapone Chocolate Torte: “Rich” is perhaps the best word to describe this dense chocolate cake that coats every taste bud in creamy marscapone, a mild Italian cream cheese. This gluten-free treat is sure to please!
- Pizza Fritta: This traditional Neapolitan deep-fried, sweet-dough pizza is served with vanilla ice cream and caramel drizzle.
- Italian Cannoli: What’s more Italian that tubes of sweet dough filled with sweet ricotta and chocolate chips and drizzled with chocolate?
- Spumoni: This family Italian gelato recipe is made locally by Lik’s Creamery.
- Traditional Italian Cheesecake: Made with ricotta cheese, this airy cheesecake is served with strawberries, chocolate or caramel sauce.
- Italian Banana Split
One scoop of vanilla ice cream and spumoni, caramelized banana, chocolate and caramel syrup and whipped cream.
- Traditional Wine Sundae
One scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and berry wine sauce.
We also offer our Sinful Brownie Sundae, which is served with vanilla ice cream, and Crème Brulée, a rich custard dish and topped with caramelized sugar.
If you’re a regular customer and want to try a new dessert, keep your eyes peeled for our rotating dessert specials, including our delicious fresh fruit tart!
- Enter our monthly contest for a chance to win a free bottle of wine or 10% off your check. Just leave a review on our Facebook page (Under “Recommendations and Reviews”) and we’ll choose one winner each month!
Mention this blog and receive $20 off a bottle of wine or $ 10 off your meal with the purchase of two or more entrees.
3 Sons Italian Restaurant & Bar
14805 West 64th Ave., Arvada